With this body of work, my goal was to learn more about type and create a typeface that I could use and share. While having the choice of making a serif or sans serif type with enough references to support the style, I was taught the building blocks of hand-lettering and the process to take that from a set of references, to sketches, to FontLab Studio to be designed into a cohesive working font.
For ten weeks, I gathered a larger understanding about the forms that create a typeface, taking reference from historical type and signage to craft each letterform. A few of the initial sketches are posted below.
As part of the process, I put together a Pinterest board here of all of the resources I used, and was most inspired by an old ice cream sign, which aided in designing the first few letters.
I came to this project expecting to learn about type and ended up exceeding those expectations by learning about much more. My key takeaway from this project was learning that with each piece of the puzzle working together, the visual identity of a design becomes much stronger overall. When applied to user experience, this project serves to remind me that affordances and consistency are key to carefully guiding a user from one step to the next in a workflow.